| Welcome to Shield Of Islam. We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
| Us Under Fire On Afghan Killings | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Apr 15 2007, 02:21 PM (82 Views) | |
| abuturab82 | Apr 15 2007, 02:21 PM Post #1 |
![]()
Administrator
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
A US marine unit broke international humanitarian law when troops killed 12 people in a shooting spree last month following a bomb attack in Afghanistan, an Afghan human rights group said at the weekend. A dozen people, mostly civilians, were left dead after soldiers sped through a 10-mile stretch of road in eastern Afghanistan's Nangahar province shooting at pedestrians, people in cars, public buses and taxis, according to the report by Afghanistan's Independent Human Rights Commission. An explosives-rigged minivan rammed the US convoy on March 4 and the 12 people were killed at six different locations along the road as the troops fled the scene. The dead included a one-year-old boy, a four-year-old girl and three women, the report said. Thirty-five were wounded in the shootings. "In failing to distinguish between civilians and legitimate military targets, the US Marines Corps special forces employed indiscriminate force," the report said. "Their actions thus constitute a serious violation of international humanitarian law standards." The group said its report was based on interviews with victims and their families, witnesses, local community leaders, hospital officials and police. The group also alleges that US troops serving with Nato in southern Afghanistan returned to the area after the bombing and cleaned up incriminating evidence. An AP report last week said a US military commander had also determined that the marines used excessive force and referred the case for possible criminal inquiry. Rising anger at the growing number of civilians being caught in the crossfire between Nato troops and Taliban insurgents is severely undermining support for Nato in southern Afghanistan. The US incident last month follows a similar shooting spree by British troops in Kandahar in December in which nine civilians were killed. Copyright The Financial Times Ltd. All rights reserved. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18122568/ |
![]() |
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
| « Previous Topic · Current Events · Next Topic » |






![]](http://z2.ifrm.com/static/1/pip_r.png)



4:02 AM Jul 11