Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Zeitgeist, an idiosyncratic collection of music news and reviews.
We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features. Registration is simple, fast, and free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SORA - Heartwood; SORA - Heartwood
Topic Started: Mar 25 2010, 06:09 PM (2,163 Views)
zeitgeist
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
SORA
Heartwood

Corvid Media

Posted Image

I've always made it perfectly clear that I am more than willing to be bribed. And it's a constant source of annoyance that bribes rarely come my way. Now it won't guarantee you a good review, but it will ease your way to the top of an ever growing pile of CDs. So the inclusion of some Canadian dark chocolate with this album did just that. So here's hoping the music lives up to the sweetie.

The very polite handwritten postcard describes the music as a fusion of Celtic, World and neo-classical, and that's a pretty fair summation of what's in the grooves. If you want to get technical, I believe, although I'm usually wrong, that Sora aka Andrea Hunt is a mezzo soprano. So if that's a vocal range that puts you off, then you may as well stop reading now. Although that would be a shame as there are some really beautiful songs on offer here.

Sora has put out two earlier releases; 2003's "Winds Of Change", which was a collection of traditional folk music, and a four track EP in 2007 called "Light" that saw her own material appearing for the first time. Something that has come to full fruition on this collection. The album sounds fabulous, with some inspired arrangements and sympathetic support which, at times, includes a string section. Fans of Clannad and Enya will find a lot to delight them with songs like 'Children Of Lir', based on the Erse legend, but it's not all hippy dippy renaissance fayre stuff, with the more direct and personal songs coming out winners, with 'Hurricane' a particular delight.

An inventive and interesting release, well worth checking out.

http://www.soramusic.ca
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Reviews Archive · Next Topic »
Add Reply

You can send stuff to Zeitgeist, PO Box 13499, Edinburgh EH6 8YL, UK

Everything here is (c) Stuart A Hamilton t/a Zeitgeist, unless otherwise stated. You can steal stuff, but please do a linkback. Cheers.

If this is your first visit to Zeitgeist, please go to the Portal. This is the best place to catch up on all the latest news and headlines.