Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Zeitgeist, an idiosyncratic collection of music news and reviews.
We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features. Registration is simple, fast, and free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Nicky Hind - Hindsight
Topic Started: Nov 24 2007, 03:55 PM (3,955 Views)
zeitgeist
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
Nicky Hind - Hindsight

Posted Image

You wouldn't have thought that a twenty year old piece of ambient / neo-classical / cinemascope music would retain any resonance so long after the event, but some music is timeless, and so it proves with this remarkably accomplished piece from the then youthful Edinburgher, Nicky Hind.

Two decades on, he's now California based and missing out on the delights of fly tipping and heritage destruction, but this atmospheric and reflective work actually manages to provide some relief from the horrors outside my window. Apart from when it goes all dark and makes the hackles rise. He himself says that fans of Philip Glass, Jan Garbarek and John Surman will find this a rewarding listen, and despite my antipathy towards Glass, I heartily concur.

Although, there are six pieces of music here, the record flows as a whole, with the work of jazz saxophonist Steve Kettley and clarinetist Dick Lee playing a huge part in capturing the various moods represented. It's a treat from beginning to end but 'A Far Cry' which tells of the yearning for a distant loved one, and the spook filled 'The Dead Of Night' are particular stand outs.

Buy CD From Amazon
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Reviews Archive · Next Topic »
Add Reply

You can send stuff to Zeitgeist, PO Box 13499, Edinburgh EH6 8YL, UK

Everything here is (c) Stuart A Hamilton t/a Zeitgeist, unless otherwise stated. You can steal stuff, but please do a linkback. Cheers.

If this is your first visit to Zeitgeist, please go to the Portal. This is the best place to catch up on all the latest news and headlines.