Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Topic Started: Mar 29 2009, 06:22 PM (768 Views)
Jeffrywith1e
Member Avatar
Administrator
Leesha and I started watching Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Posted Image

This is a series I've been aware of for as long as it has existed, but never bothered to explore. It always appeared to be some ninja cartoon that happened to have pretty good art and some imaging that resembled Miyazaki slightly.

What is this show about?

Avatar: The Last Airbender takes place in a fantasy world that is home to humans, fantastic animals, and spirits. Human civilization is divided into four nations: the Water Tribes, the Earth Kingdom, the Air Nomads, and the Fire Nation. Each nation has its own natural element, on which it bases its society. Within each nation exists an order called "Benders" who have the ability to manipulate the eponymous element of their nation. The show’s creators assigned each Bending art its own style of martial arts, causing it to inherit the advantages and weaknesses of the martial arts it was assigned. The Bending types are Waterbending, Earthbending, Firebending, and Airbending.
link to more...

Leesha and I have developed a tradition of sitting and watching a show together when we can. I use this as incentive for getting chores done as well as spending time with her in an activity that truly interests both of us. We've watched Nadia: Secret of Blue Water, ROBOTECH, Haibane Renmei, Last Exile, Dungeons & Dragons, Oban Star-Racers, Sarah Jane Adventures, and now Avatar: The Last Airbender.

We're 4 episodes in and this show is good. It's aimed at an audience of her age almost directly, but has enough fantasy mixed with realism to keep geek adults interested. So far I'm quite impressed. Impressed enough to start this thread.

Now that the Avatar thread is launched we can start updating the news...
you see there are three things that spur the mollusk from the sand
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jeffrywith1e
Member Avatar
Administrator
Live Action Airbender from M. Night Shyamalan!

On January 8, 2007, Paramount Pictures' MTV Films and Nickelodeon Movies announced that they have signed M. Night Shyamalan to write, direct and produce a trilogy of live-action films based on the series; the first of these films will encompass the main characters' adventures in Book One. The film was in a dispute with James Cameron's film Avatar regarding title ownership, which resulted in the film being titled The Last Airbender. It is set for release on July 2, 2010. Shyamalan was attracted to the series because of its inspiring martial arts and spiritual theme, after being introduced to the program by his children. Filming will begin in March 2009 and take place in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and in Ilulissat, Greenland. Producer Frank Marshall stated the film may be moved to later in 2010 or even to early 2011, and that some filming could happen in the Far East.

According to an interview with the co-creators in SFX Magazine, Shyamalan came across Avatar when his daughter wanted to be Katara for Halloween. Intrigued, Shyamalan researched and watched the series with his family. "Watching Avatar has become a family event in my house ... so we are looking forward to how the story develops in season three," said Shyamalan. "Once I saw the amazing world that Mike and Bryan created, I knew it would make a great feature film."

Avatar co-creators Mike DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko voiced their opinion within an interview regarding M. Night Shyamalan writing, directing and producing the film. The two displayed much enthusiasm over Shyamalan's decision for the adaptation, stating that they admire his work and, in turn, he respects their material. M. Night Shyamalan said he will write the second film while preparing to shoot the first. James Newton Howard, who has composed all of Shyamalan's films since The Sixth Sense, will compose The Last Airbender.

Shyamalan offered the roles of Aang to karate-trained Texan Noah Ringer; Sokka to Jackson Rathbone (Twilight); Katara to Nicola Peltz (Deck the Halls); and Zuko originally to Jesse McCartney. The casting of white actors triggered negative fan reaction marked by accusations of racism, a letter-writing campaign, and a protest outside of a Philadelphia casting call for movie extras. Rathbone dismissed the complaints, saying "I think it's one of those things where I pull my hair up, shave the sides, and I definitely need a tan. It's one of those things where, hopefully, the audience will suspend disbelief a little bit." In February 2009, Dev Patel replaced McCartney, whose tour dates conflicted with a boot camp scheduled for the cast to train in martial arts. Aasif Mandvi will play Admiral Zhao, Shaun Toub will play Uncle Iroh, Cliff Curtis will play Fire Lord Ozai and Keong Sim has been cast in the role of an Earthbender.
link to Wiki

Watching Avatar has become a family event for us, too. Sort of.
Edited by Jeffrywith1e, Mar 29 2009, 06:29 PM.

Jeffrywith1e
Member Avatar
Administrator
First Look: Actors put up a real fight in 'Airbender'

By Scott Bowles, USA TODAY
For years, Noah Ringer went by the nickname "Avatar" because he looked so much like the lead in the Nickelodeon cartoon Avatar: The Last Airbender. Now he gets to act like the character, too.

Ringer, 12, makes his feature-film debut opposite Slumdog Millionaire's Dev Patel in M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender, a live-action version of the show that opens July 2, 2010.

Ringer didn't need to alter much to play Aang, who uses martial arts to manipulate the weather. Like Aang, Ringer keeps his head shaved and is an expert in martial arts. "It keeps me cool when I'm doing tae kwon do," says Ringer, a Texas native with a black belt who landed the role after sending a homemade DVD of him practicing the sport. "It's so cool to get the part."

Patel, too, seems suited for the film, the first of a planned trilogy. He earned his black belt in tae kwon do before he turned to acting and discovered the television show while filming Millionaire. "I started watching it in my trailer in India," says Patel, who plays the villain Zuko, a "firebender" (he manipulates flames). "I see why the fan base is so big. It's got action but a lot of moral messages."

Though they square off on the big screen, don't expect any exhibition matches between the actors. Patel, seven years older and a foot taller, says it wouldn't be close: "Noah would knock me flat on my back. "
link

Posted Image

Gregums
Member Avatar

trailer- a bad look, until tomorrow
"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." - Teddy Roosevelt

Jeffrywith1e
Member Avatar
Administrator
Gregums
Jun 22 2009, 08:38 PM
Yeah, that wasn't so great. What's tomorrow?

We are one episode from finishing the 2nd season, BTW. This is one of THE BEST animated shows I have ever seen. I adore this show. Avatar: The Last Airbender is better than almost all the japanese animation I've seen. I started a blog article expressing some of the thoughts here about Avatar and another show I find equally as good in totally different ways, actually, which I will finish up soon. If this trend continues, America may start to gain on all the progress Japan has made in the medium. Avatar: The Last Airbender is a great show.
Edited by Jeffrywith1e, Jun 22 2009, 09:55 PM.

Gregums
Member Avatar

Jeffrywith1e
Jun 22 2009, 09:52 PM
Gregums
Jun 22 2009, 08:38 PM
Yeah, that wasn't so great. What's tomorrow?

We are one episode from finishing the 2nd season, BTW. This is one of THE BEST animated shows I have ever seen. I adore this show. Avatar: The Last Airbender is better than almost all the japanese animation I've seen. I started a blog article expressing some of the thoughts here about Avatar and another show I find equally as good in totally different ways, actually, which I will finish up soon. If this trend continues, America may start to gain on all the progress Japan has made in the medium. Avatar: The Last Airbender is a great show.
to answer your question...

teaser trailer

Edited by Jeffrywith1e, Jun 23 2009, 04:21 PM.
"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." - Teddy Roosevelt

Jeffrywith1e
Member Avatar
Administrator
Gregums
Jun 23 2009, 10:33 AM
to answer your question...
Meh...

Not giving me a lot of hope there. That was lack luster compared to some of the airbending scenes from the show. Thanks for the heads up.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Watch · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Theme by Deazy