Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Here at NRPM we are always excited to welcome new people, sadly we cannot allow guests to take part in more than reading certain pre-sanctioned topics. If you would like to take part in reading our VideoGame encyclopedia, Entering tournaments, Taking challenges to wring your games of every last minute of play, having fun and much more; a membership to NRPM is the only answer.
Registration is Fast, Easy and Satisfying.

With ZB many new cool things will be coming, the only way to make sure your getting treated to the best of the best and your on top of what is cool is with a membership!

Join NRPM Today!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of the bonuses of being a member!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Glory of Heracles
Topic Started: Jun 26 2010, 11:32 AM (822 Views)
GameBoyPlayerAdvance
Member Avatar
The ninja admin
[ * ]
Interim Review
I'm about halfway so i'll review it up to now and return when I finish it. First off this is a very love/hate game. Which is impressive. Never have I hated playing a game so much and loved it simultaneously.

Graphics 8/10
The graphics remind me of Golden sun. There are essentially the opposite. Instead of freaky sprites pretending to be 3D, we have 3d models in a game that probably would have been better using sprites. Too often the characters are so small all of the work on the models is wasted. You also have a camera you can freely rotate at times. A minor annoyance, but you must have items and doors on screen to open or collect them. You also have a map, but the camera is often slanted and locked so it makes the map more difficult to traverse.

Music 8/10
Too often I've felt like I was hearing a remix of the Golden sun music.

Gameplay 3-9/10
Here is the biggest love hate part. The battle system is very refreshing and addictive, but can also be a pain. Magic is cast using 6 different Ethers, essentially a ripoff of synergy except ether is an invisible force all around you that changes depending on what happens in battle. Not using ether causes it to grow, using ether makes anti-ether, key for using black magic. Both you and your enemies use ether, so they will mess with your ether. You also need MP which is pretty scarce. This is a great system. You also have a 2X5 area to move around in battle, as do your enemies. Being up front allows you to hit front row enemies and increases liklihood of getting hit. Being in the back forces you to use magic or special powers and decreases your chance of being targeted. This system is also great. Lastly of the good things, you can play a mini-game when you cast magic to make your attack stronger which gives you something to do through the long battles.
Battles are long. A normal battle can take about as long as bosses in the GS games or most other RPGs. Ironically, the boss battles in this game are far shorter. It often feels like you are getting pulled into battle too often, particularly on the world map. To make the world map more annoying it is the one place you cannot run through. Status effects are also more plentiful and common in this game than any other. Literally, a few hits from current enemies also can kill a character. Revive spells are very costly and items are very rare, which can drive you crazy. Each equip also carries special abilities and magic. The special abilities are a welcome addition and can allow you to randomly dodge enemy attacks, strike criticals, regain hp, regain mp and so on. Towns are also more unique, yet very bland. So far there has been one town that could count as a city. Towns may or may not have each kind of shop and prices vary. For example an early town could scalp you for a room in an inn and a later town might practically give a room away. This also freshens the game up a bit and makes it feel more realistic. Unfortunately as of now you are often barred from back tracking very much. There also is a mysterious luck system. When you find and take items in homes or abandoned barns you will lose luck forever. No one knows what luck does. Some claim it removes items from chests, others say they tested and it did nothing. Regardless, the items in homes are nice, often being stat builders. There also are random hard battles, where you face deadly enemies or mass numbers of enemies. Lastly, there are annoying places it will bar you from saving for long periods.

Controls 8/10
The menus are set up a little awkwardly. The game also forces you through tutorials that make you use the awkward, annoying touch screen mode. If you play with the touchscreen after the tutorials you will commit suicide.

Story 6/10
You play as a young immortal who is told he is Heracles, despite being weak. You meant a transvestite who dresses as a man for no reason other than comic relief and to not be discriminated against. Then you meant a narcissist. Then you meet the real Heracles in jail for stealing a sandwich from the Spartans. There are numerous references to the Spartan memes. From the crossdresser telling how her father threw her off a cliff to prove she was immortal and the narcissist asking if her parents were Spartan. Countless use of the line 'This is Sparta' and jokes about how strict sparta is. Plus when you save Heracles you jump into a giant pit... Speaking of pit there is a Kid Icarus reference. Also the line "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!" from LOTR is used very frequently. Achiles is called a heel. The storyline can also get a bit annoying, for example a long dungeon you cannot save in. At the end you don't get a cool city to explore, you get a lone temple. You are told your existence is an abomination, but the Greek gods are merciful so you can live. Then you are thrown back to the earth. I had to do the dungeon in one sitting for that!? It also isn't explained why Heracles is so weak in battle yet owns everyone out of battle. There is a lot of Greek mythology and you even amass a database of mythology which is cool. Heracles also beats up a princess. Thankfully, they also seem to have decided to ignore the part of the mythology about Heracles being a homosexual. There also are annoying mistakes such as street lamps and other things that shouldn't exist.

All in all, if you have patience get the game. Be prepared to be annoyed to no end, but love it. If you don't do GoldenSun or Command Mission; which both freshen quite a bit, but are difficult to hate.
My Ninja Rp, join it please!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Wii Profile Quote Post Go to Top

GameBoyPlayerAdvance
Member Avatar
The ninja admin
[ * ]
Final Judgment

Graphics 6/10
Pretty much what I have said stands pretty much the same, but I feel I gave it too much befit of the doubt. There is an option that will make the camera automatically rotate to let you in buildings I didn't know about though. I also feel this game would have looked better and been ideal on the 3DS.

Music 7/10
The music isn't that great, but it isn't terrible; Ironically the best part of the music is the main character playing a flute badly and then well. If only the whole game was played on a flute.

Gameplay 6-9/10
What I said about the battles taking forever as well as the miserly amounts of MP change later on. MP becomes plentiful enough only physical focused characters will often run low. After getting my dark mage, I used her alone to heal after battles never running out of MP. Most battles also will take much less longer later on, and they don't occur as often; even using drugs to attract monsters wasn't too terrible. Boss battles do remain fairly quick however, for example while trying to take all of the final boss's extremities down, I killed him accidentally. Your characters also can take a punch much better later on. I also forgot to mention there are statues that you must find and worship under to learn spells and abilities. Towns are pretty boring and repetitive though. I think luck may tie into your chances of running from enemies, because I never lost luck and could run from very strong enemies consistently. Puzzles are pretty simple as well, at least until one of the last dungeons that has four areas per map and winding paths you must change to move between those areas.
Later on, there are also many secret areas on the world map which are fun to find despite being pretty easy to guess at their location. (Hmm... Random peninsula, I bet there is a secret area!)
There is literally no going back to previous areas. Even after Heracles can summon a flying Chariot named Pegasus, it is used simply to tie up some 'troublesome' plot threads. You cannot fly back to anywhere you have been before.

Story 3/10
You may be wondering why this went down... They raped the story later on, and starting gunning to piss the player off.
Spoiler: click to toggle

My Ninja Rp, join it please!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Wii Profile Quote Post Go to Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Review · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Webfiliates
Affiliates