Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Here at NRPM we are always excited to welcome new people, sadly we cannot allow guests to take part in more than reading certain pre-sanctioned topics. If you would like to take part in reading our VideoGame encyclopedia, Entering tournaments, Taking challenges to wring your games of every last minute of play, having fun and much more; a membership to NRPM is the only answer.
Registration is Fast, Easy and Satisfying.

With ZB many new cool things will be coming, the only way to make sure your getting treated to the best of the best and your on top of what is cool is with a membership!

Join NRPM Today!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of the bonuses of being a member!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How many sides does a line have?
Topic Started: Aug 26 2009, 10:59 AM (3,390 Views)
GameBoyPlayerAdvance
Member Avatar
The ninja admin
[ * ]
I'm talking about the mathematical lines, rays and segments. Mainly segments.
In case you have not taken geometry yet.
Line - is a straight curve that extends forever in both directions.
Ray - A straight curve that extends forever in one direction
Segment - A limited Line or Ray that has two set end points. Segments compose various shapes such as triangles, squares, pentagons, hexagons, nonogans and endless other "gons".
Here is an image for the visual learners.
Posted Image

So to avoid moving subjects, lets start with stationary segments.
How many sides does a segment have in total? Does the dimensions of the plane affect how many sides? (For example a line on an XY axis(2D) versus a line graphed on the XYZ axis(3D))

I won't go into my opinion until a few people post, so as to not sway them one way or another.
(Yes, I know I'm too nerdy... :P)
My Ninja Rp, join it please!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Wii Profile Quote Post Go to Top

GameBoyPlayerAdvance
Member Avatar
The ninja admin
[ * ]
I think that is what they teach you, but think about it. How can anything other than a solid spherical/eliptical object have one side? I kinda thought that was acceptable for shapes because they could be solid inside. If you look at a vertical segment and something like light hits it from the left, does it not hit on one side of the segment and not both? If you have a block of cheese no matter how thin you slice it, it will still have at least two sides. If that is true how can a line have just one side. Even if you have a sheet of cheese a single molecule thick across it has two sides. (actually if you're getting down to the molecule it would have 6)
This has always bothered me, kind of like division by zero being impossible. (But, I divided by zero, by working out what division by zero is, in a story problem. It actually is really obvious... and the universe actually held out pretty well. :P)
Posted Image
Posted Image

GameBoyPlayerAdvance
Member Avatar
The ninja admin
[ * ]
Now consider wouldn't it also have a top side? on two interescting planes(3 dimensions) it would also have probably have a bottom.
Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Debate Place · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Webfiliates
Affiliates