Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
News Around Town; This week in Livonia
Topic Started: Nov 10 2006, 07:33 AM (834 Views)
Grant1
Member Avatar
We have just begun to fight!

Livonia loses students after remap
November 10, 2006

BY ZLATI MEYER

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER
Livonia Public Schools has lost double the number of students it expected to -- along with $2 million in funding -- according to the district, which puts some of the blame on the decision to close and reconfigure schools.

From last school year to this one, the district lost 497 students -- 2.8% of the student body -- Superintendent Randy Liepa said Thursday. Administrators had expected a loss of 251 students, a 1.4% drop.

The lower count leaves the district with an overall loss of $4.2 million in state aid based on enrollment. However, about half of that amount had been planned for in the current budget.

Liepa said the district would dip into its fund equity to make up the difference. The district's current general budget is approximately $161 million.

He attributed the enrollment decline to more students graduating than entering kindergarten, the tough economy and parents upset over district changes.

"The Michigan economy is a piece of it and this has been evident in regards to hearing from other districts" experiencing similar drops, Liepa said. "We do know we lost some people because of the closing of schools."

Last December, the Livonia school board approved the Legacy Initiative, which closed a net total of seven elementary schools and put grades 5-6 in their own buildings.

The plan upset some parents, who threatened to move and sought an injunction (which was unsuccessful) to block the district from making the changes.

Brad Wolkan, a member of Citizens for Livonia's Future, the group that organized the opposition, questioned what happened to the savings the Legacy Initiative was expected to yield.

"Nobody wants to say, 'I told you so,' because it doesn't help anything," said the father of two Livonia students. "They will take the shortfall from the fund equity account, which is basically drawing from your savings account, which further depletes the funds available to the district."

Contact ZLATI MEYER at 248-351-3291 or meyer@freepress.com.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Grant1
Member Avatar
We have just begun to fight!
PROPOSAL 5: School aid plan snubbed


Key worry: Prop 5 might mean cuts elsewhere

BY PEGGY WALSH-SARNECKI

FREE PRESS EDUCATION WRITER
Proposal 5, a guaranteed annual funding increase for Michigan public schools and colleges, lost resoundingly Tuesday, after opponents hammered home the message that guaranteed school money also would guarantee cuts in other key services.

It was an appeal that resonated with voters living through Michigan's lagging economy. They rejected the proposal 62% to 38% with 99 percent of precincts reporting.

"It would take some money away from other things we need, like the fire department, like the police department," said Dale Owens of Battle Creek. "Whether that's true or not, I don't know. But I did see that happening and that didn't appeal to me."

Yolanda Ellis of Detroit said she voted no because she didn't know how the state would pay for the increase. Ellis worried a tax increase lurked behind the proposal.

"I already pay enough taxes in Detroit, and we pay enough taxes to the state," Ellis said.

Proponents said education was too important to shortchange.

"I'm a high school teacher. The schools are horrendously underfunded," said Julie Schulz of Allen Park. "Inflation goes up and per-pupil spending does not even go up equal to inflation."

Much of the debate centered on how much money the proposal would add to the roughly $15 billion the state already spends on education. Backers set the added price tag at $565 million the first year. The nonprofit, nonpartisan Citizens Research Council of Michigan estimated the cost could range from $565 million to $707 million.

A study by the Michigan Chamber of Commerce and the Michigan Association of Realtors, which opposed the proposal, put the first-year cost at $766 million and more than $1 billion in each of four years after that.

Proposal 5 backers raised $4.2 million, according to the most recent estimates, but said it wasn't enough to get their message across to voters.

"We were trying to get a 'yes,' and that's very difficult ... when they confuse people with their ads," Ken McGregor, spokesman for the K-16 Coalition, said of critics.

The Coalition to Stop the K-16 raised $1.6 million, according to the most recent estimates.

"We believe the voters really educated themselves and realized that Proposal 5 was not really about education, and instead it was about funding and perpetuating really out-of-control teacher pensions and salary increases," said Tricia Kinley, spokeswoman for the group.

Michigan school funding has increased 19% over the last seven years, but school leaders said the additional money was absorbed by soaring health care and retirement costs.

Proposal 5, supported by the Michigan Education Association, Michigan School Business Officials and the state PTSA, guaranteed raises in school funding as inflation rose, capped the schools' share of retirement costs and added financial help for districts losing students.

But opponents, including Gov. Jennifer Granholm, her challenger, Dick DeVos, and Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, said guaranteed funding increases would hamstring policy makers and possibly lead to cuts in other crucial services.

"The governor has been very supportive of the concept behind Proposal 5, but she has been very concerned about the effect it would have on the other important programs state government is responsible for," said Liz Boyd, Granholm's spokeswoman.

Contact PEGGY WALSH-SARNECKI at 586-469-4681 or
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Grant1
Member Avatar
We have just begun to fight!
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...49/1026/SCHOOLS


Rebecca Bray has the full attention of her kindergarten class at Rosedale Elementary School in Livonia, where district officials are trying to determine how to deal with the impact from the unprecedented loss of 520 students.


Livonia faces $4.4M loss

Declining enrollment lowers state school funding

Karen Bouffard / The Detroit News


Rebecca Bray gives Kevin Tang some special instructions while teaching her kindergarten class at Rosedale Elementary School in Livonia. See full image


LIVONIA -- Livonia Public Schools will lose more than $4.4 million in state funding this year after enrollment fell by double the number officials expected.

School board members learned this month that district enrollment shrunk 520 to 17,611 students, compared to a projected decline of 250. Livonia stands to lose $8,490 per student in state funding from its $161.3 million budget.

The unprecedented drop has revived some bitterness over the Legacy Initiative, which closed seven schools and restructured grade levels across the district this fall. Citizens for Livonia's Future, a parents group, vehemently opposed the plan and challenged it in court.

School district officials and some parents say declining enrollment is not only expected, but the very reason they restructured the district.

Superintendent Randy Liepa couldn't predict budget cuts, saying officials will make recommendations later this fall to the school board.

"It's just an aging community," Liepa said, adding that the size of Livonia's graduating class has been larger than the kindergarten class for several years.

"If you don't have new housing being built, and you don't have people moving out to open up housing for families, you're going to have a decline. Livonia's a great place to live, and when kids graduate, they like to stay.

"Certainly enrollment declined more than we thought it would," Liepa added.

"We know we lost some students due to change in the grade configuration, some because of the demographics and the Michigan economy."

Brad Wolkan, of Citizens for Livonia's Future, blamed most of the drop on implementation of the Legacy Plan. He said he hopes the district won't cut teachers or programs to make up for the loss in revenue.

"Surrounding districts are gaining enrollment," Wolkan said, adding his group informally surveyed the community last spring and determined that parents planned to pull 200-220 students out of the district.

"I have a very strong belief that the majority of those number are from the Legacy Initiative."

Resident Raylene Morgan, who has two children in the district, said she agreed with the decision to close schools. So did voters, apparently: A recall effort failed in August to oust board members who supported the closures.

"The plan came about because of declining enrollment -- that was the whole reason for the plan," Morgan said.

"Something had to be done so the schools could continue to be efficient."

Statewide, schools must report enrollment to the state by Wednesday to determine funding.

You can reach Karen Bouffard at (734) 462-2206 or kbouffard@detnews.com.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Grant1
Member Avatar
We have just begun to fight!
http://www.hometownlife.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../611090538/1027


Educator, coach charged with soliciting minor


BY DAN WEST
STAFF WRITER


A Livonia man who's spent years working with young people has been arrested on allegations he used the Internet to send lewd messages and pictures to an underage boy.

Ryan Thomas Fawkes, a 31-year-old teacher and hockey coach, was arraigned Monday in Livonia's 16th District Court with three felony charges: Using a computer to accost and solicit a minor, and two counts of using a computer to disseminate sexually explicit matter to a minor.


He was released on bond after paying $5,000 and promising the court he would not use the Internet or have unsupervised contact with minors. A preliminary examination is scheduled for 9 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 16.

Fawkes works as a seventh-grade teacher at Detroit's Columbus Middle School and serves as midget-level head coach of travel team affiliated with the Plymouth-Canton Hockey Association.

Fawkes worked as a Livonia Public Schools' teacher at five elementary schools from 1996-2005. District spokesman Jay Young said Fawkes resigned in April 2005.

"In his record as a teacher in our district, there were no allegations of behavior that's similar to the charges of which he's accused," Young said.

Livonia police did not have any run-ins with Fawkes, said Lt. Greg Winn.

Monday's charges were the result of an investigation by Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox. According to an attorney general's office press release, an undercover agent posing as a 13-year-old boy had several on-line communications with Fawkes from Oct. 3-26.

In these communications, investigators said Fawkes solicited the undercover agent for on-line sexual activity. He is also accused of sending lewd Webcam video images of himself and other adult pornographic images to the agent.

"It is particularly disturbing when those who are placed in positions of trust are accused of committing sex crimes against children," Cox said.

He added parents are encouraged to check their children's Internet "buddy lists" for the screen names Fawkes used, including "Nate Thompson" and "John Olsen." If they believe their child had contact with Fawkes, they should call the attorney general's office at (313) 456-0180.

Plymouth-Canton Hockey Association officials met with parents and players of the Plymouth Stingrays midget (ages 15-16) travel hockey team Tuesday night in a lockerroom at the Plymouth Cultural Center, explaining why their coach was suspended Monday from all hockey activities.

"We had a team meeting with parents and players, and talked about the situation and moving ahead with the remainder of the coaching staff," said Gordon Bowman of Plymouth Township, the PCHA's director of coaches.

"We also offered to get a counselor if the parents feel a need to have counsel or talk with the team."

Bowman, who is also vice president of coaches for the Michigan Amateur Hockey Association, said the charges against Fawkes --a PCHA coach for several years -- were an "obvious shock."

"He was highly regarded as a coach," said Bowman. "He was respected by players and parents.

"When you look at coaches, you look at wins and losses, and he was successful," added Bowman.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Grant1
Member Avatar
We have just begun to fight!
Threat Made at Local Elem. School

Last Edited: Friday, 10 Nov 2006, 5:47 AM EST
Created: Friday, 10 Nov 2006, 5:47 AM EST

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/myfox/pages/Ne...TY&pageId=3.1.1

FOX 2's Al Allen has the story from Westland, MI.
WESTLAND -- Extra security is on hand this morning at Cooper Upper Elementary School in Westland after a bomb threat was left yesterday in the girl's bathroom. Officials believe the threat is a prank, but they are taking extra precautions and there will be classes today. FOX 2's Al Allen has more on the story.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Grant1
Member Avatar
We have just begun to fight!
"Resident Raylene Morgan..."

Any relation to a former BOE member who was ousted lat May?

"The plan came about because of declining enrollment -- that was the whole reason for the plan," Morgan said.

Hmmmmm?....The student count figures before the LIe did not support the "declining enrollment". but afterwards they sure do.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
fyi
Principal
Quote:
 
"He was highly regarded as a coach," said Bowman. "He was respected by players and parents.


Quote:
 
"When you look at coaches, you look at wins and losses, and he was successful," added Bowman.


Re: "Educator, coach charged with soliciting minor."

The above quotes are bizzare considering the circumstances. Looks like he "lost" this time.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Pete
Principal
Quote:
 
"The Michigan economy is a piece of it and this has been evident in regards to hearing from other districts" experiencing similar drops, Liepa said. "We do know we lost some people because of the closing of schools."


Come on admit it, Liepa; the large majority of student losses are due to the LI. Where you do concede that SOME losses are from the LI, they are due entirely from people upset with their school closing. You want it to seem that parents are upset that their school closed and can not handle dealing with these tough economic times. Your portrayal of this is clearly meant to be misleading. I believe most pulled their children due to the Upper Elem configuration: late days and transitioning concernes that propagate detachment issues, bullying, sadness, not being w/ familiar faces enough, etc.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
fyi
Principal
Quote:
 
"It's just an aging community," Liepa said, adding that the size of Livonia's graduating class has been larger than the kindergarten class for several years.


Well....that should make the BOE members sleep better tonight. Sweet dreams.....
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Pete
Principal
fyi
Nov 10 2006, 08:21 AM
Quote:
 
"It's just an aging community," Liepa said, adding that the size of Livonia's graduating class has been larger than the kindergarten class for several years.


Well....that should make the BOE members sleep better tonight. Sweet dreams.....

Liepa, so we put a $hi??y plan in place to solve this problem????? .... a small one at that, that corrects itself if handled properly. Lipea, you're logic is seriously lacking.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
ILIkeLI
Member Avatar
Principal
"It's just an aging community," Liepa said,

The same could be said of the many other communities that GAINED students....Inkster, Garden City, Westland, etc...excuses, excuses.

The familiar supporter chant..."Something had to be done so the schools could continue to be efficient." At this point, we all know they absolutely had the resources to wait a year. They probably would have offset the losses considerably.

I'm sure they never counted on all of this negative press. They have done and are continuing to damage the image of the district and the city as an attractive place to raise a family.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
cat
Principal
Much better coverage!!! Take a look observer people.. Not building house?? Has he even been down 7 mile or what about the mega neighborhood homes on 8 mile by the cemetary---That is lps also!! Oh my gosh sugar coat everything...People there are more options out there...Website--MAPSA mi charter schools!!! More in our area than we think...of course just one in livonia on middlebelt(I wonder why) But closer than I thought---And they are public schools!! No tuition...Find the right one for your child...this is just not right and should not be tolerated!!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
gr1
Principal
Quote:
 
"Resident Raylene Morgan..."

Any relation to a former BOE member who was ousted lat May?



No relation. It is an extremely common last name.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Mrs.M
Member Avatar
Principal
And now someone is calling me 'aging'. My kids keep telling me I'm getting old. Heck what do they think they're doing, staying young? Newsflash, that's what happens once a year, everyday you're older than you were the day before...hopefully a day wiser
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
chickmunk
5th Grade
Quote:
 
Not building house?? Has he even been down 7 mile or what about the mega neighborhood homes on 8 mile by the cemetary---That is lps also!!


I agree. There are more houses now than there were years ago when LPS was booming. Now there are just less REASONS for people to stay in Livonia -- Loyalty to LPS has been lost & people will do what is right for their families.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Livonia Neighbors Archive · Next Topic »
Add Reply