Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to BookObsessed. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
July is for Fireworks (and RATs!); Chat Here! June 29-July 16
Topic Started: Jun 29 2018, 03:06 PM (999 Views)
GateGypsy
Member Avatar
Exceptionally Obsessed
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Happy Fireworks Season, my darling BookObsessors! Let us indulge in some beach reads to celebrate the beginning of the summer, and generally have a bunch of fun while we catch up with our reading goals :blowkiss: Anyone is welcome to join in part way though. Just post! You don't even really need to read, if all you want to do is chat with us and hang around B)

1. KathyB
2. CheesyGiraffe
3. nimrodiel
4. azuki
5. Lemonitsa
6. meshe
7. GateGypsy
8. PepperVL
9. dancing-dog
10. Boomda
11. zosime

RAT Spreadsheet
(Thanks KathyB!)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KathyB
Member Avatar
Absolutely Obsessed
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Finished Posted Image this morning and started Posted Image

GateGypsy
Member Avatar
Exceptionally Obsessed
:yahoo: So I'm super excited, because I stopped into the library today and my requested copy of Jonny Appleseed by Joshua Whitehead has arrived just in time for this RAT! :dance3: Joshua Whitehead is an Oji-Cree/nehiyaw Two-Spirit/Indigiqueer otacimow from Peguis First Nation (Treaty 1) and a Ph.D. student at University of Calgary.

Besides that, I plan on getting on to Seaweed Under Water (Silas Seaweed #3) by Stanley Evans... And I have a couple Pick-it-for-me reads I may get to. We'll see. Normally I blow through a few audiobooks during a RAT but my phone is broken :cry: so I can't listen to book in my car right now! I'm completely lost. I have to listen to the radio.

Posted Image Posted Image

GateGypsy
Member Avatar
Exceptionally Obsessed
KathyB
Jun 29 2018, 03:34 PM
Wow, you know how to get off to a running start! I haven't even started a google doc spreadsheet for this yet! :whistle:

... Do you want to build a spreadsheet for me, please? I know how to do it, but I've got kids to pick up from school and groceries to buy and a teenager to take to prom so I'm ... so busy today... If you have the time, that is.

dancing-dog
Member Avatar
Doggedly Obsessed
I'm currently reading this: (had 47 pages read before the RAT)

Posted Image

KathyB
Member Avatar
Absolutely Obsessed
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
GateGypsy
Jun 29 2018, 03:46 PM
KathyB
Wow, you know how to get off to a running start! I haven't even started a google doc spreadsheet for this yet! :whistle:

... Do you want to build a spreadsheet for me, please? I know how to do it, but I've got kids to pick up from school and groceries to buy and a teenager to take to prom so I'm ... so busy today... If you have the time, that is.
Here you go - July RAT Spreadsheet

Let me know if everyone can edit. I think I did that right!

dancing-dog
Member Avatar
Doggedly Obsessed
KathyB
Jun 29 2018, 04:31 PM
GateGypsy
Jun 29 2018, 03:46 PM
KathyB

Here you go - July RAT Spreadsheet

Let me know if everyone can edit. I think I did that right!
Yep, I was able to edit it.

cheesygiraffe
Member Avatar
Giraffe Lover Extraordinaire
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm reading Death Bringer by Derek Landry and I'm listening to The Labours of Hercules by Agatha Christie.

Posted Image Posted Image

nimrodiel
Member Avatar
Exceedingly Obsessed
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lets see, Today I finished the last four and a half chapters of As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes, Joe Layden
I have I Married the Duke by Katherine Ashe going on my nook
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

azuki
Member Avatar
TBR - To Infinity and Beyond!!
Hi all! I am reading books from PBS's Great American Read, and am about 3/4 way through

Posted Image

I really like the story. My next book from the list is Wuthering Heights, which I haven't actually read although I know the story. I picked it up from the library today, along with many books I "discovered". I haven't borrowed physical books from the library for months now, have been using their electronic service and am glad not to have to worry about renewing and late fees, so it's not a good idea for me to go home w a pile of books. I have kind of view my late fees as donation for the great service, but still, I can't afford to be too generous.

Also reading for the travelog book box:

Posted Image

Edited by azuki, Jun 29 2018, 09:03 PM.

PepperVL
Member Avatar
Book Faerie Extraordinaire
What did we decide the theme was?

Lemonitsa
Member Avatar
Beyond Obsessed
I forgot to check in yesterday!

Later today Iíll be back with my list and my update. Now I must run some errands. We are in the middle of a heat wave and itís pretty bad. I want to be done and back in my basement before noon.

meshe
Member Avatar

[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Meant to check in last night, but got caught up in Netflix. Damn Netflix!!

I'm halfway through the audio of
Posted Image

and have just gotten started on

for book club. I'm finding it very hard to read.
Posted Image

up next
Posted Image

and
Posted Image
Edited by meshe, Jun 30 2018, 11:03 AM.

zosime
Member Avatar
Exceedingly Obsessed
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Iím in! When I find a moment to read I will let you know what it is. :lol:

azuki
Member Avatar
TBR - To Infinity and Beyond!!
meshe
Jun 30 2018, 10:52 AM

Posted Image
As English is my second language I don't know if the same is true for you, but see if you can find an audio version. I find it easier to understand the accented dialogues, whereas when I read it I have to sound the words out and try to figure out what it's supposed to be, which is indeed slow going, tedious and not enjoyable, and totally interrupt the flow of the story.

Watching World Cup now.
Edited by azuki, Jun 30 2018, 12:09 PM.

Lemonitsa
Member Avatar
Beyond Obsessed
Friday, June 29, Day 1

My list of books:
(Title, Series, Author, Format, Started At, At Now)

The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsley, paper, 78%, 78%
Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1) by Robert Jordan, paper, 52%, 52%
Foxglove Summer (Peter Grant, #5) by Ben Aaronovitch, audio, 22%, 22%
--> Long Live the Queen (Immortal Empire, #3) by Kate Locke, ebook, 0%, 65%
Madame Sadayakko by Lesley Downer, paper, 12%, 12%

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

dancing-dog
Member Avatar
Doggedly Obsessed
azuki
Jun 30 2018, 12:07 PM
meshe

Posted Image
As English is my second language I don't know if the same is true for you, but see if you can find an audio version. I find it easier to understand the accented dialogues, whereas when I read it I have to sound the words out and try to figure out what it's supposed to be, which is indeed slow going, tedious and not enjoyable, and totally interrupt the flow of the story.

Watching World Cup now.
I have this in my TBR pile so I'll be interested in what you think (if you can get through it!) It's supposed to be one of the "modern classics".

meshe
Member Avatar

[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
azuki
Jun 30 2018, 12:07 PM
meshe

Posted Image

Watching World Cup now.
You are exactly right about the process. And I'm a native English speaker, Southerner as well so the dialect is somewhat familiar to me. It's still just kicking my ass though. I think an audio version might be a good idea.

GateGypsy
Member Avatar
Exceptionally Obsessed
nimrodiel
Jun 29 2018, 08:54 PM
Lets see, Today I finished the last four and a half chapters of As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes
I LOVED THAT BOOK

GateGypsy
Member Avatar
Exceptionally Obsessed
PepperVL
Jun 29 2018, 09:10 PM
What did we decide the theme was?
If you can find something that includes a National Celebration or actual fireworks, it would be awesome, but I think we decided that vacations/summertime was a much easier fit for folks to find if they were trying to theme things up. I, personally, am not particularly bent on insisting folks read to a theme in order to qualify for particular prizes. The way I figure it, if someone really feels they have a place in their life for the prizes I'm offering, then they should have the option to choose them. I wouldn't want someone to read a theme book, have their name drawn, and then not have any use for the prize.

Y'know I just remembered that usually we have a Christmas in July themed RAT. I guess I jumped the gun to put this one out there. I just really needed a RAT -- it had been months! I just wanted to bring together a bunch of us to chatter and talk about what books we are reading ;)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Read-a-Thons · Next Topic »
Add Reply