Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to BookObsessed. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2018 May EMR; Kathy's Month
Topic Started: May 1 2018, 05:16 AM (155 Views)
KathyB
Member Avatar
Absolutely Obsessed
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lots and lots of good reading in my mailbox this morning!!

Lemonitsa - received
GateGypsy - received
Shaunesay - received
Nikel
Nimrodiel - received
Zosime - received
Kiri - received
VeganMedusa - received
Butterfly-Noir - received
PepperVL
Edited by KathyB, May 19 2018, 08:30 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KathyB
Member Avatar
Absolutely Obsessed
From GateGypsy I got 2 books from one of my gamer type series (love this author!)

Posted Image Posted Image

And a surprise Audible

Posted Image

KathyB
Member Avatar
Absolutely Obsessed
From Shaunesay, I got 2 cozies and a Dali Lama cat!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

KathyB
Member Avatar
Absolutely Obsessed
From Nim, I got the 2nd book in a cozy series by one of my new favorite authors.

Posted Image
Edited by KathyB, May 1 2018, 05:33 AM.

KathyB
Member Avatar
Absolutely Obsessed
Zosime sent me the brand new, book 2 of the Lock In series by John Scalzi, one of my all time favorite Sci-Fi authors!

Posted Image

KathyB
Member Avatar
Absolutely Obsessed
From Lemonitsa, I got the next book in the cozy mystery written by my friend Miranda (Dean) James!

Posted Image

GateGypsy
Member Avatar
Exceptionally Obsessed
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
KathyB
May 1 2018, 05:25 AM
From GateGypsy I got 2 books from one of my gamer type series (love this author!)

And a surprise Audible

Posted Image
I really enjoy Drew Hayes' stuff, too! The Spells, Swords, and Stealth series is my favourite of the two Hayes series I'm reading, though. I get the impression he is moving in the direction of this being a full series, with at least 5 books. He took time out of steady production on this series, though, to write and release more Fred, Super Powereds, and the first in Villain's Code "Forging Hephaestus." Now that all those are published and in the world, I sincerely hope he'll be back to this series and we'll get more titles soon :crossed:

And just so you know, I totally phoned Audible at 2 in the morning to tell them they need to fix gifting, and pronto! :lol: But seriously, Kobna Holbrook-Smith completely nails the narration of this series. I'd almost suggest you re-read Rivers of London (aka Midnight Riot) just because he's so good at it, and his consistency over the length of the series is superior. I've been reading a whole lot of series, and even have other narrators I'm super fond of (Lorelei King, for one!) but I wouldn't necessarily go back and re-listen to them. This one I would.

KathyB
Member Avatar
Absolutely Obsessed
GateGypsy
May 2 2018, 05:14 AM
R
KathyB

And a surprise Audible

Posted Image
I really enjoy Drew Hayes' stuff, too! The Spells, Swords, and Stealth series is my favourite of the two Hayes series I'm reading, though. I get the impression he is moving in the direction of this being a full series, with at least 5 books. He took time out of steady production on this series, though, to write and release more Fred, Super Powereds, and the first in Villain's Code "Forging Hephaestus." Now that all those are published and in the world, I sincerely hope he'll be back to this series and we'll get more titles soon :crossed:

And just so you know, I totally phoned Audible at 2 in the morning to tell them they need to fix gifting, and pronto! :lol: But seriously, Kobna Holbrook-Smith completely nails the narration of this series. I'd almost suggest you re-read Rivers of London (aka Midnight Riot) just because he's so good at it, and his consistency over the length of the series is superior. I've been reading a whole lot of series, and even have other narrators I'm super fond of (Lorelei King, for one!) but I wouldn't necessarily go back and re-listen to them. This one I would.
I read the first book of Hayes' Super Powereds and really liked it except it was sooooo loooong and the next books in the series are even longer. I love the Fred the Vampire accountant series too.

Who are some of your favorite narrators? I like Luke Daniels, Wil Wheaton, Amanda Ronconi, Kate Reading, and George Guidall just to name a few.

Kiri
Member Avatar
Trapped on page 571 - send apostrophes!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kathy,

Your EME's should be to you by morning.. =)

Kiri

VeganMedusa
Member Avatar
Exceedingly Obsessed
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm a bit busy and distracted at the moment, but should have time to sort things out tomorrow.
I'm super excited to see the sequel to Lock In is out, although Amazon tells me it's not available for me to buy, so I'll just wait for it at the library.
And I went and put some more Drew Hayes books on the wishlist, because I do enjoy Fred and I had no idea he'd written other series. :)

KathyB
Member Avatar
Absolutely Obsessed
Kiri sent me 4 books - 2 are written by a new author for me & the other two are by a friend of mine.

The new author:

My author friend:

KathyB
Member Avatar
Absolutely Obsessed
VeganMedusa
May 3 2018, 01:11 AM
I'm a bit busy and distracted at the moment, but should have time to sort things out tomorrow.
I'm super excited to see the sequel to Lock In is out, although Amazon tells me it's not available for me to buy, so I'll just wait for it at the library.
And I went and put some more Drew Hayes books on the wishlist, because I do enjoy Fred and I had no idea he'd written other series. :)
No rush. I was excited about the sequel to Lock In also, although I'm thinking I need to review it a bit before starting Head On.

butterfly-noir
Member Avatar
Thoroughly Obsessed
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kathy the beginning of May has been a quite agitated. But I havent forgot your book. Ill take care of it tomorrow the latest.

KathyB
Member Avatar
Absolutely Obsessed
butterfly-noir
May 4 2018, 02:14 AM
Kathy the beginning of May has been a quite agitated. But I havent forgot your book. Ill take care of it tomorrow the latest.
No worries. I think May caught a lot of us off guard, me included. :lol:

GateGypsy
Member Avatar
Exceptionally Obsessed
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
KathyB
May 2 2018, 06:18 AM
GateGypsy
KathyB
And a surprise Audible
Posted Image
But seriously, Kobna Holbrook-Smith completely nails the narration of this series. I'd almost suggest you re-read Rivers of London (aka Midnight Riot) just because he's so good at it, and his consistency over the length of the series is superior. I've been reading a whole lot of series, and even have other narrators I'm super fond of (Lorelei King, for one!) but I wouldn't necessarily go back and re-listen to them. This one I would.
Who are some of your favorite narrators? I like Luke Daniels, Wil Wheaton, Amanda Ronconi, Kate Reading, and George Guidall just to name a few.
Other than Kobna Holdbrook-Smith and Lorelei King (of Charley Davidson and Mercy Thompson fame)? I was impressed with Kate Mulgrew's performance in Joe Hill's NOS4A2. Wil Wheaton, yes, of course! oh, oh, and Neil Gaiman. (I guess I could also say Shel Silverstein & Robert Munsch, for that matter, when it comes to authors performing their own works, not that Shel does anything anymore.) But I did like Lin-Manuel Miranda reading Aristotle and Dante (and the introduction, etc, to his own book about Hamilton). Oh, and Tim Curry!

I would confidently say that I would be apt, even likely, to try a book out solely on the strength of any of the above narrators.

I also really liked Holter Graham reading probably the first three of the Alpha & Omega series. I loved the voice he used for Charles. I really thought he did a great job of the First Nations accent and inflection. But it kindof fell apart in the fourth book (Charles no longer had the accent, but all the American Indians in Arizona did), and he didn't quite get it back in book 5. I hope he can get it back.

KathyB
Member Avatar
Absolutely Obsessed
GateGypsy
May 5 2018, 10:37 PM
KathyB
GateGypsy
KathyB
And a surprise Audible
Posted Image
But seriously, Kobna Holbrook-Smith completely nails the narration of this series. I'd almost suggest you re-read Rivers of London (aka Midnight Riot) just because he's so good at it, and his consistency over the length of the series is superior. I've been reading a whole lot of series, and even have other narrators I'm super fond of (Lorelei King, for one!) but I wouldn't necessarily go back and re-listen to them. This one I would.
Other than Kobna Holdbrook-Smith and Lorelei King (of Charley Davidson and Mercy Thompson fame)? I was impressed with Kate Mulgrew's performance in Joe Hill's NOS4A2. Wil Wheaton, yes, of course! oh, oh, and Neil Gaiman. (I guess I could also say Shel Silverstein & Robert Munsch, for that matter, when it comes to authors performing their own works, not that Shel does anything anymore.) But I did like Lin-Manuel Miranda reading Aristotle and Dante (and the introduction, etc, to his own book about Hamilton). Oh, and Tim Curry!

I would confidently say that I would be apt, even likely, to try a book out solely on the strength of any of the above narrators.

I also really liked Holter Graham reading probably the first three of the Alpha & Omega series. I loved the voice he used for Charles. I really thought he did a great job of the First Nations accent and inflection. But it kindof fell apart in the fourth book (Charles no longer had the accent, but all the American Indians in Arizona did), and he didn't quite get it back in book 5. I hope he can get it back.
Of course, how could I not think of Neil Gaiman! I love when he reads his own stuff. I liked Kate Mulgrew's reading of Joe Hill's book also. I listened to her autobiography and don't like her as a person as much as I used to :lol: but she still did a good narration of it. I have a bad habit of doing that - listening to memoirs or autobiographies and then no longer liking the person.

KathyB
Member Avatar
Absolutely Obsessed
GateGypsy
May 5 2018, 10:37 PM
KathyB
GateGypsy
KathyB
And a surprise Audible
Posted Image

Thought of another outstanding narrator - David Tennant & the How to Train Your Dragon series!

VeganMedusa
Member Avatar
Exceedingly Obsessed
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
VeganMedusa
May 3 2018, 01:11 AM
Nearly a week later, and finally! :blush: :whip:

KathyB
Member Avatar
Absolutely Obsessed
Very well worth the wait Vegan! Thanks so much :)

Another John Scalzi - I have Shaunie to thank for talking me into picking "Red Shirts" back up after having dismissed it as not my thing. I now read every John Scalzi I see.

Posted Image

The title of this one grabbed me the first time I saw it and I'm super excited to read this one!

Posted Image

KathyB
Member Avatar
Absolutely Obsessed
KathyB
May 8 2018, 03:14 PM
Very well worth the wait Vegan! Thanks so much :)

Another John Scalzi - I have Shaunie to thank for talking me into picking "Red Shirts" back up after having dismissed it as not my thing. I now read every John Scalzi I see.

Posted Image

The title of this one grabbed me the first time I saw it and I'm super excited to read this one!

Posted Image
Spent the afternoon and half the night reading "The Princess Saves Herself in This One". Very autobiographical poetry, the author outlines the abuse and bullying she suffered as a child, her escape into books and her growth to a strong woman. Very heartbreaking, but not overly done. You felt the strength to come all the way through. Awesome book. I put the next one in the series on my wish list.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Monthly & Random Exchanges · Next Topic »
Add Reply