Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to BookObsessed. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Best fo 2017 PLAY THREAD; playground and fun to be had here!
Topic Started: Jan 10 2018, 08:54 AM (2,310 Views)
GateGypsy
Member Avatar
Exceptionally Obsessed
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

I'm sure you all know the rules but here they are as stated last year:

the rules:
- the main thing is to offer one of three best books you've read last year ('till 31st Dec) which means :nono: TBRs!
- no genre restriction!
- self revealing and stealing your own book as a tactic move is not allowed.
- providing a list with few titles so that player who ends with it can pick one of those is not allowed.
- 2(3)fers are OK if they are part of series or more/less sequel (and if that one story is the best thing you've read this year and has been told in more than one book) but if they are unrelated please restrain yourself from offering them.
- the swap is over when someone reveals the last unrevealed book.
- it's international (be prepared to ship overseas!) swap with 12 hours rule.
-enjoy!

- an extra info for returnees :p (and newbies): as e-format have emerged don't be surprised if you're offered to chose which format you prefer. That also means if you have read e-book you don't have to buy paper copy prior to swap because maybe the one who ends with it might want to have it also in the e-form. I think physical books are even in minority but no one assumes that everyone has an e-reader.

1. kiri
2. dancing-dog
3. azuki
4. lamelemon
5. *itpdx
6. *GateGypsy
7. *meshe
8. nimrodiel
9. shaunesay
10. Tsjara
11. *HoserLauren
12. zosime

Kiri, you are up first! Who do you want to reveal?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

GateGypsy
Member Avatar
Exceptionally Obsessed
A couple asides:

There's still time for others to join in. Please post in this thread or PM me if you'd like to hop in, and I'll tack your name to the end of the list! The more the merrier!

Need help formatting your reveal? (I know I tend to forget from year to year!) Check out this post.

Please check in and let us know when your reveal is prepped. I'll put an * next to your name so we know who all is on board.

Want to add a secret move to your signature? Here's how it's done! You can also just PM your moves to other players in other time zones, especially if you want to get tricky :giggle: It helps to tell us who has your moves by updating your signature, too.

Also, I :pm: and msg on FB to Kiri to let her know she's first, as well as :email: I don't think she's in the BO WhatsApp chat group?

ETA: urg. The photo at the top of the thread has been giving me SO MUCH GRIEF. I switched it out for something else, though, fair warning: I may change it again. (yes, I saw the spelling errors. But I'm at work right now and can't spend as much time as I'd like to find a really GOOD picture.)

Kiri
Member Avatar
Trapped on page 571 - send apostrophes!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'd like to reveal Shaunesay.

I love the picture!

zosime
Member Avatar
Exceedingly Obsessed
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yay, we've started! :popcorn:

meshe
Member Avatar

and we're off!

meshe
Member Avatar

my reveal is ready!!

HoserLauren
Member Avatar
Exceptionally Obsessed
Yyaaayy we've started.

GateGypsy
Member Avatar
Exceptionally Obsessed
Posted Image

Book in possession
Book revealed
(number of times stolen) = Max 5

You can find revealed books & archived moves HERE

Previous Moves:

Kiri asked shaunie to reveal...??

1. kiri ::::: (~) :::::
2. dancing-dog ::::: (~) :::::
3. azuki ::::: (~) :::::
4. lamelemon ::::: (~) :::::
5. *itpdx ::::: (~) :::::
6. *GateGypsy ::::: (~) :::::
7. *meshe ::::: (~) :::::
8. nimrodiel ::::: (~) :::::
9. shaunesay ::::: (~) :::::
10. Tsjara ::::: (~) :::::
11. *HoserLauren ::::: (~) :::::
12. zosime ::::: (~) :::::

shaunie! Please :flasher: for us!

itpdx
Member Avatar
Thoroughly Obsessed
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
My reveal is prepared and sent out.

shaunesay
Member Avatar
Beyond Obsessed
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Shaunesay's Best of 2017 Reveal

Posted Image

The Chilbury Ladies' Choir by Jennifer Ryan

The village of Chilbury in Kent is about to ring in some changes.
This is a delightful novel of wartime gumption and village spirit that will make your heart sing out.

Kent, 1940.

In the idyllic village of Chilbury change is afoot. Hearts are breaking as sons and husbands leave to fight, and when the Vicar decides to close the choir until the men return, all seems lost.

But coming together in song is just what the women of Chilbury need in these dark hours, and they are ready to sing. With a little fighting spirit and the arrival of a new musical resident, the charismatic Miss Primrose Trent, the choir is reborn.

Some see the choir as a chance to forget their troubles, others the chance to shine. Though for one villager, the choir is the perfect cover to destroy Chilbury’s new-found harmony.

Uplifting and profoundly moving, THE CHILBURY LADIES’ CHOIR explores how a village can endure the onslaught of war, how monumental history affects small lives and how survival is as much about friendship as it is about courage.

Shaunie's Note: Though not exactly the same time period/situation, things about it helped fill that Downton Abbey shaped hole in my heart.

shaunesay
Member Avatar
Beyond Obsessed
Posted Image

Book in possession
Book revealed
(number of times stolen) = Max 5

You can find revealed books & archived moves HERE

Previous Moves:

Kiri asked shaunie to reveal...??

1. kiri The Chilbury Ladies' Choir (~) :::::
2. dancing-dog ::::: (~) :::::
3. azuki ::::: (~) :::::
4. lamelemon ::::: (~) :::::
5. *itpdx ::::: (~) :::::
6. *GateGypsy ::::: (~) :::::
7. *meshe ::::: (~) :::::
8. nimrodiel ::::: (~) :::::
9. shaunesay ::::: (~) The Chilbury Ladies' Choir
10. Tsjara ::::: (~) :::::
11. *HoserLauren ::::: (~) :::::
12. zosime ::::: (~) :::::

Dancing-Dog! Will you sing with the choir or ask for a new reveal?

shaunesay
Member Avatar
Beyond Obsessed
I have pm'd and e-mailed DD :)

GateGypsy
Member Avatar
Exceptionally Obsessed
shaunesay
Jan 10 2018, 03:18 PM

Shaunie's Note: Though not exactly the same time period/situation, things about it helped fill that Downton Abbey shaped hole in my heart.
This is an especially important sentiment :giggle:

shaunesay
Member Avatar
Beyond Obsessed
GateGypsy
Jan 10 2018, 03:32 PM
shaunesay
Jan 10 2018, 03:18 PM

This is an especially important sentiment :giggle:
I know, and it ISN'T Downton Abbey at all, but it had kind of that same feel to it for some reason, but I hesitate to call it a read-a-like, but I just really enjoyed it.

Kiri
Member Avatar
Trapped on page 571 - send apostrophes!
ok reveal prepared, sent and signature updated..

dancing-dog
Member Avatar

Checking in and I see I'm up! Give me just a minute .... BRB

dancing-dog
Member Avatar

I would like for meshe to reveal her book please.

And while we are waiting, I will prepare my reveal and send it to a few peeps.

HoserLauren
Member Avatar
Exceptionally Obsessed
I'm conflicted about our swap image. I enjoy video games as much as books :)

meshe
Member Avatar

Posted Image

Book Description:
Acquaintance rape is a crime like no other. Unlike burglary or embezzlement or any other felony, the victim often comes under more suspicion than the alleged perpetrator. This is especially true if the victim is sexually active; if she had been drinking prior to the assault — and if the man she accuses plays on a popular sports team. The vanishingly small but highly publicized incidents of false accusations are often used to dismiss her claims in the press. If the case goes to trial, the woman’s entire personal life becomes fair game for defense attorneys.

This brutal reality goes a long way towards explaining why acquaintance rape is the most underreported crime in America. In addition to physical trauma, its victims often suffer devastating psychological damage that leads to feelings of shame, emotional paralysis and stigmatization. PTSD rates for rape victims are estimated to be 50%, higher than soldiers returning from war.

In Missoula, Krakauer chronicles the searing experiences of several women in Missoula — the nights when they were raped; their fear and self-doubt in the aftermath; the way they were treated by the police, prosecutors, defense attorneys; the public vilification and private anguish; their bravery in pushing forward and what it cost them.

Krakauer’s dispassionate, carefully documented account of what these women endured cuts through the abstract ideological debate about campus rape. College-age women are not raped because they are promiscuous, or drunk, or send mixed signals, or feel guilty about casual sex, or seek attention. They are the victims of a terrible crime and deserving of compassion from society and fairness from a justice system that is clearly broken

My review:
This book was one of the most difficult I've read, but it was also one of the most compelling.
It's about acquaintance rape. Mostly on a College campus. The cases in the book focus on University of Montana and it's athletes. The football players. What strikes me as one of the most disturbing points is that these young men and their friends, family, and fans have no concept of consent. They have convinced themselves and some juries that "no" really doesn't mean no. It's incomprehensible to me.

meshe
Member Avatar

Can I also say how excited I am not to be the last to reveal?!?!

Also. I have Kiri's reveal.

And I cannot update

Edited by meshe, Jan 10 2018, 08:04 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Swaps · Next Topic »
Add Reply