Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to BookObsessed. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
We've Been Hacked!!
Topic Started: Mar 22 2008, 06:46 PM (5,369 Views)
CheriePie
Member Avatar
living the dream baby!! :)
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Not just BookObsessed, but all of InvisionFree's servers have been hacked. :(

Not to get too technical on everyone, but with Cheesy's help, I discovered that if you can get here via a URL which isn't in the root directory, meaning like it has some extra subdirectories after the initial domain name, then you can access things okay, even though hackers took over the server.

Not that it leaves things in a very reliable state because until the IF staff can plug the security holes and get the hackers outta here, all the data on the entire server is at risk of being wiped out at any time, at the whim of the hackers. :erm:

Until that is fixed though, I figured if I modify the domain name settings for bookobsessed.com so that they redirect to the longer administrative URL (http://z14.invisionfree.com/BookObsessed/) instead of acting like a true domain and pointing to an IP address, we should be able to temporarily work around this.

So at this point in time, you can get to the forums either by typing the longer URL directly into your browser's address field: http://z14.invisionfree.com/BookObsessed/
Or by waiting for the DNS change to be picked up for bookobsessed.com, which will then forward you directly to that URL.

(If you want to speed up the process for the DNS change, you can clear your DNS cache in Windows by bringing up a Command Prompt window, and then typing ipconfig /flushdns . That should clear out your cache a little quicker than simply waiting for it to time out on it's own.)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

luckaye
Member Avatar
Thoroughly Obsessed
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for all your work Cherie - you are a superstar!! :hug: :wub:

GateGypsy
Member Avatar
Exceptionally Obsessed
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh, thank you so much, Cherie! The moment it happened I did the only thing I could think to do, which was Email you :lol: It was most distressing. I'm glad you and Cheesy were able to get it worked around and fixed!

ladiibbug
Member Avatar
Exceedingly Obsessed
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Cherie, you simply ROCK!

I was afraid we'd be out of commission for a few days. Thanks for everything you do here for us!!!

xallroyx
Member Avatar
Thoroughly Obsessed
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for fixing this for us :)

CandyTX
Member Avatar
Always needs a nap
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Heh... I wonder how many emails Cheesy and Cherie got? LOL

Booksforever
Member Avatar
Fully Obsessed
[ *  *  * ]
Yes, thank you!! DH had to laugh at me as I sat here looking at that webpage. He says, "so are you gonna have withdrawals all night??" I guess I had that look on my face like "whhhhaaatttttt!!!" Glad you found a way around it for now. Hackers really suck.

CdnBlueRose
Member Avatar
Act all thongish, even if you're all Granny cottonish
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
:worship: :worship: :worship:

cheesygiraffe
Member Avatar
Giraffe Lover Extraordinaire
luckaye
Mar 22 2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks for all your work Cherie - you are a superstar!! :hug: :wub:

Yes she is good at this! I was only a sounding board for her. :lol:

TITurtle1
Member Avatar
Slowing things down a bit...
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I checked here and was nervous.

Thanks Cherie! :) :wub:

And Cheesy! :flower:

redhot-brat
Who I got to meet for my B-day!
:kiss: :kiss: To both of you for rescuing us! :kiss: :kiss:

Kyrissaean
Member Avatar
Thoroughly Obsessed
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yay! Thank you Cherie and Cheesy!!! :bananadance: What a relief! :kiss: :flower:

Down with evil #@%$&?@# hackers! :whip: :whip: :whip: :angry2:

CheriePie
Member Avatar
And we're back! :grin:

Well, we were already back, but now the hacker stuff is gone and the InvisionFree staff has fixed the hacker problem. :thumbsup:

You should now be able to access the forum via the regular bookobsessed.com URL again. And I've reset the bookobsessed.com domain back to regular, instead of the forwarding URL. (Again, it might take an hour or more for your DNS settings to propagate, or you can always use the command given in the top post to empty your cache.)

GateGypsy
Member Avatar
Exceptionally Obsessed
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
CheriePie
Mar 22 2008, 09:26 PM
(Again, it might take an hour or more for your DNS settings to propagate, or you can always use the command given in the top post to empty your cache.)

:giggle: She's so cute when she starts talking technical :wink:

CheriePie
Member Avatar
GateGypsy
Mar 23 2008, 12:29 AM
CheriePie
Mar 22 2008, 09:26 PM
(Again, it might take an hour or more for your DNS settings to propagate, or you can always use the command given in the top post to empty your cache.)

:giggle: She's so cute when she starts talking technical :wink:

Heh, I forget sometimes that some of you are probably going "huh"? :blink: :giggle:

TITurtle1
Member Avatar
Slowing things down a bit...
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kyrissaean
Mar 22 2008, 09:30 PM
Down with evil #@%$&?@# hackers! :whip:  :whip:  :whip: :angry2:

Yeah!

:whip: :bash: :fish: :piratewhip: :lemon:

VeganMedusa
Member Avatar
Exceedingly Obsessed
I think I must have slept through this whole thing or something?! :giggle:

Good work Cherie. :clappingsmiley:

CheriePie
Member Avatar
Yeah, it was kinda funny to realize that some people didn't even realize this was going on, even a few people who were around tonight, but not necessarily on the server when the hacked message first came up. :giggle:

giz-angel
Member Avatar
my name's Giz and I'm an addict
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
CheriePie
Mar 23 2008, 07:27 AM
Yeah, it was kinda funny to realize that some people didn't even realize this was going on, even a few people who were around tonight, but not necessarily on the server when the hacked message first came up. :giggle:

I go to bed. it's all fine, I get up, it's snowing, but it's all still fine here! THANK you Cherie :kiss:

zzz
Member Avatar
Absolutely Obsessed
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
When I saw that we are hacked I thought "Oh nice. This means few days away from PC spent in some creative work " :)
But then I forgot we have Cherie who simply must spoil everything :whip: :pout:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Site News & Announcements · Next Topic »
Add Reply