Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to BookObsessed. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New Feature: Location field in post; edit your profile to activate
Topic Started: Feb 1 2007, 04:07 AM (8,892 Views)
CheriePie
Member Avatar
living the dream baby!! :)
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I've added a mod that enables the Location field—or any other custom field we may wish to define down the road—to appear with your post. If you look to the left, you'll notice it with mine. :D

To get it to show up with your own posts:
Even if you've already got the Location field on your profile filled in, it won't automatically appear with your posts until you visit your profile and re-save it.
If you haven't yet filled in your Location field, you can find it on your Control Panel under Edit Profile Info.
(While you're there, you might also want to check/verify some of your other settings, such as your time zone under Board Settings as we've currently got the board's default set to GMT.)

Mucho thanks to Cosmic and Sci for testing this with me. :kiss: :kiss: :wub:
Now I'm off to bed myself! :sleep:

ETA - Viewing of signatures must be turned on to view the location field with each post. Thanks to da cheese for figuring this out! :kiss:

ETA2 - If you've modified your signature, you'll notice that the Location now disappears from the area to the left of your posts. To get it to show back up again, you must revisit the Edit Profile Info of your Control Panel and click the Amend My Profile button there to resave the info, and reactivate the Location field. This is a minor bug which unfortunately I can't do anything about. :(
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cosmic-gin
Member Avatar
"Don't let your dreams be dreams" ~ Jack Johnson
[ *  *  *  * ]
Night Cherie :kiss:

Thanks for figuring out the location stuff - I'm very happy that it's back :flowers:

wss4
Member Avatar
So many books, So little time!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Glad that we have it back as it is a feature that I missed. Thanks for all your hard work Cherie!!

cheesygiraffe
Member Avatar
Giraffe Lover Extraordinaire
That was already there but I don't see it when people post. Am I missing something? :unsure:

CheriePie
Member Avatar
cheesygiraffe
Feb 1 2007, 08:39 AM
That was already there but I don't see it when people post. Am I missing something? :unsure:

You won't see it for each person until they've manually gone back and saved their profile. Which is why I tried to explain above that even if it's already there, you need to resave things. I dunno why I couldn't force it to work without that, but it's the best I could do... :(

But I see it for you now, and Sci and cosmic, and Wendy... We'll just have to tell people to go enter it and save their profile and then it will show up.

cheesygiraffe
Member Avatar
I don't see it still and I logged out and back in. Hmmm maybe if I tried IE instead of Firefox. :unsure:

cheesygiraffe
Member Avatar
All I see is:

The Cheese

Group: Forum Moderators
Member No.: 20

I under IE now but that's all I saw in FireFox too. :(

karendawn
Member Avatar
Books...Cats...and Knitting...Life Is Good
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
cheesygiraffe
Feb 1 2007, 04:01 PM
I don't see it still and I logged out and back in. Hmmm maybe if I tried IE instead of Firefox. :unsure:

I use Firefox and I'm seeing the locations just fine. You're located "somewhere beneath the books."

CheriePie
Member Avatar
That is strange cheesy! But then again, so are you... ;) :P

But I just pulled this page up in IE to check it there too and can see them fine in both Firefox and IE. Do you think it might be a caching thing? Have you tried clearing your IE cache?

cheesygiraffe
Member Avatar
I will try that now. :blink: And btw Cherie :whip: that's for calling me strange. :P

cheesygiraffe
Member Avatar
Nope still hasn't changed. Ugh! :cry:

CheriePie
Member Avatar
Okay I'm attaching a screen cap of my browser window. Do you see where location is? Is it possible your screen somehow does not have enough room to fit it in there, perhaps due to font size or something like that?

I just wanted you to see what it's supposed to look like, and the fact that there's some spacing before it too, because maybe it's not fitting in what space you have for some reason. :unsure:

cheesygiraffe
Member Avatar
I guess because my sigs were off is why it didn't show the location. Weird....
ETA:
I can them now with sigs on but if I turn them back off then I can't. :blink:

CheriePie
Member Avatar
Ahhh so that's the trick... thanks! I'll edit the top post to let peeps know they must have siggies turned on to view them. I guess because this is a modification and not something that could easily be turned on or off via the Admin CP, it has to be treated as a signature. So I appreciate your help in figuring this out. I only wish it was as easy as it seemed. I mean... since the location field was already there to begin with, you'd think that the invisionfree people would give you a way to choose which fields you want to display with your post without having to jump through hoops to accomplish it! *sigh*

So in your case, it might be good to enable sigs for swaps since you usually want to see signatures then anyway, and that's when the location field is most useful.

Thanks sweetie my strange-ness! :kiss:

cheesygiraffe
Member Avatar
You're welcome my freaky geek. :kiss:
Oh btw the forum keep timing out for 30 mins! :(

PepperVL
Member Avatar
Book Faerie Extraordinaire
Cherie,

In the old forum I could see them without having sigs tuned on. I don't know if that was because it was paid or not... but it might be soemthing to look into someday.

CheriePie
Member Avatar
PepperVL
Feb 11 2007, 09:33 AM
Cherie,

In the old forum I could see them without having sigs tuned on. I don't know if that was because it was paid or not... but it might be soemthing to look into someday.

Right! I'm not positive why the free version doesn't give us the option to do it in the Admin Control Panel, but my guess is that if it's enabled for one forum, it'll have to be enabled for all forums on that server, not just us BookObsessers or whatever we end up calling ourselves. So the invisionfree people are probably just going with the lowest common denominator for the defaults.

Unfortunately, that means that rather than simply tick a button in the Admin CP the way this had to be implemented was via an add-on mod.

It is a kinda sucky solution, I agree, so if anything comes down the road later, you can bet I'll be keeping an eye out for it. :ph34r:

EllyMae58
Member Avatar
Proud Doxie Mom
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I wish everyone would take advantage of this little item...I hate when I can't figure out where someone is located and their location isn't filled in. :(

Marlene
Member Avatar
Crazy Foreign Woman
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
CheriePie
Feb 1 2007, 11:07 AM
I've added a mod that enables the Location field—or any other custom field we may wish to define down the road—to appear with your post. If you look to the left, you'll notice it with mine.  :D

My neck is killing me cherie from looking left :ph34r: :rofl: but I don't see your location.
I do see cheesy's and everyone else that have enabled it.

I agree with kel that people that swap should enable this. do the little step. It would make life much easier.

damn what does mine say?
Not Crazyville still. That could be anywhere. :blush: :lol:

eta; aha I see I had already changed it into Crazyville The Netherlands

CdnBlueRose
Member Avatar
Act all thongish, even if you're all Granny cottonish
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
That's right, I'm not seeing yours either, Cherie! :shedevil:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Site News & Announcements · Next Topic »
Add Reply